Hello friends. It’s Friday and it is finally time to consistently bring back the Flashback Friday series (I hope). I have decided to change the title to “Art on the Road” because the Flashback Friday title does not fit with our new found travel lifestyle.
My criteria for these art projects has always been (and will continue to be) the following:
- It needs to have simple and limited instructions in order for kids to do it on their own.
- It needs to be fun and imaginative.
- It needs to be inexpensive to produce, free is even better.
We will be in Costa Rica for a year and our funds for art supplies is limited so I will be pushing the envelope with the above criteria. Plus, art supplies are incredibly expensive here. I could really use a Micheal’s around the corner and a couple of coupons. Ha.
Today I am debuting Art Supply Jars made from recycled food containers by AvaLar.
ART SUPPLY JARS
- Any size or shape jar that will fit your art supplies. We used a salsa, olive and a jam jar for this project.
- Sparkly Modge Podge (we brought this from the US).
- Mini sheets of tissue paper. Large sheets torn apart would work as well.
- *Optional: Decorations for your container.
- First, wash and dry the jars. Ha, I know you are smart enough to figure that one out, but I put it anyway.
- Decide on a pattern or design and separate out the pieces of tissue you wish to use.
- Cover one side of the jar with Modge Podge.
- Carefully adhere your pieces of tissue paper to the MP and then cover the tissue paper with another layer of MP.
- You can spice it up a little more by using glue to attach decoration. Avalon wanted feathers on the top of hers and Largo chose pom-poms.
- Let it dry thoroughly before you use them.
What do you think of our first art project in Costa Rica from our Art on the Road series? We have many more planned for the coming months and we can’t wait to share them with you.
Have a fantastic weekend. We plan to hit the local farmer’s market at 7am on Saturday, catch up on some projects and maybe take off on a mini day adventure.
Life is an adventure.