Hello friends. Have you ever bought an adventure, event or experience as a gift for someone you love? Will and I started doing it for the kids a couple of years ago and it was a great decision. It is the gift that keeps on giving. I cannot count how many times one of them has said, “remember the time we…” or “remember when we went to …” Other than one or two special gifts over the years they have never really said, “hey, remember the year you bought me all that plastic stuff that I played with over and over again and loved so much.” We have all done it and then we think back to all the money we spent and the lack of memories, as we drop another box of plastic off at Good Will. So here is a solution.
Buy your children an adventure. It does not have to be anything expensive or outlandish like jetting off to an African Safari or a shopping spree at Saks. It can be as simple as eating a different type of food that no one in the family has tried before.
- Take in an obscure sporting event like a badminton competition, fly fishing or roller derby.
- Maybe a dogsledding or ice fishing getaway in New England.
- How about an evening of free classical music at the Hatch Shell in Boston or an opera.
- My cold aching muscles could really go for a massage right now. We gave Avalon one for her birthday last year and she is still talking about it.
- Can you imagine the whole family taking a surfing, skateboard, boogie boarding or even snowboarding lesson together.
- Maybe learn how to make chocolate (I love the video in this post) or cheese from a culinary institute.
- It could be a lot of fun to hire a chef to teach the family how to make sushi or paella. Could you dress in traditional clothing?
- How about a night away at a unique hotel. We once stayed at this place called the Madonna Inn in the Swiss Chalet room. Each room had a different theme that was over the top and so much fun. I have always wanted to stay at the Hotel de Glace in Quebec. Maybe next year.
- My all time favorite would be a family weekend yoga retreat at Kripalu in western Massachusetts.
We scour the internet for group ons, coupons and off season rates to make this affordable. Right now I could go for a night away with my Mr. in Martha’s Vineyard. A nice snuggly fire and some wine at a B & B. Ok, I must snap out of it and get back to work, as I put on another layer of clothing. Brrrr.
This year Santa brought our family an exciting experience. We head off on this adventure in 1 week (for 24 hours) and I cannot wait to report back to you. It is something none of us have ever done before and I truly believe it is every kids childhood dream. Any guesses?
Tomorrow is a big day. I am so excited and nervous at the same time. I feel like a girl getting ready for her first kiss. Tomorrow is the day I release Goodie Goodie Gumdrop to the world and I am so nervous. Wish me luck.
Circa early 1980’s. My sister and I started having adventures very young. Now you know where all this craziness comes from.